Financial elder abuse occurs when someone takes advantage of a senior adult and wrongfully benefits financially. Financial elder abuse can cause substantial financial harm for both the senior and any beneficiaries of their estate. When someone causes such harm, they should be held liable and should compensate any victims for their financial losses. Litigation stemming from financial elder abuse can be complicated, however, so you want to make sure you have the right law firm handling your case. If you are in or around the TriValley area, call the civil litigation lawyers at Randick O’Dea & Tooliatos, LLP right away.
Seeking Relief after Financial Elder Abuse
Financial elder abuse can happen in many ways and by many parties, ranging from close family members and caretakers to strangers. The following are some forms of financial elder abuse:
- Physically taking cash from a senior
- Caretakers using a senior’s funds for their own benefits instead of for the senior’s needs
- Unduly influencing a senior to change property titles to include the abuser
- Unduly influencing a senior to amend their will in the abuser’s favor
- Using fraudulent schemes to obtain access to financial accounts or personal information
Often, people do not discover that financial abuse occurred until after the victim passes away and they notice suspicious financial or legal activity. For this reason, proving the abuse can often be challenging.
Discuss Your Legal Options with Our Financial Elder Abuse Lawyers
If you or a loved one suffered losses due to financial elder abuse, the attorneys at Randick O’Dea & Tooliatos, LLP, can help you obtain the relief and recovery you deserve. Please call us at 925.460.3700 or contact us online so we can evaluate your rights and options in your specific situation.